Camp David was founded in 1935 as a get-away in the hills of Catoctin Mountain park in Maryland for the President. The official name is the Naval Support Facility Thurmont due the idea that it is technically an installation and staffed by the Navy and Marine corps. When first built, it was known as Camp HiCatoctin used for the families of the Federal Government. President Franklin D. Roosevelt was the one who converted the camp into a retreat, renaming it ShangriLa in 1942. But the current name of Camp David was changed in honor of Dwight D. Eisenhower. The camp is still active leaving no access to the public for privacy for the President.