Youngstown-Warren Air Reserve Station is a military facility in Vienna Township, Ohio, 11 miles north of Youngstown. The installation host wing is the 910th Airlift Wing which is an AFR Command unit gained by the Air Mobility Command. This wing contains nearly 1,450 military personnel. Because the air reserve is located at the Youngtown-Warren Regional Airport, its main purpose is to serve as a residence to the 910th AW and eight C-130H Hercules Aircrafts.
Youngstown Air Reserve Base was originally called Youngstown Air Force Base in the 1950’s. The 88th Air Base Squadron was the housekeeping unit of the air defense base while the 86th Fighter-Inspector Squadron was the operational flying unit. The 86th remained at Youngstown until 1960. On May 26 of 1952, the Air Force Reserve’s 26th Fighter-Bomber Squadron was put into Youngstown which soon was initiated during the Korean war then later being redesignated as the 757th Troop Carrier Squadron in 1958. In 1959, the desire for the Air Defense Command bases were diminished and needed to retrench at Youngstown AFB due to the requested Sir Force transfer to Continental Air Command leaving the 79th Fighter group deactivated. Stretching through the 1990’s, the 910 TAG became the only fixed-wing aerial spray unit in the Department of Defense in 1992. The name was revoked and renamed the 910th Airlift Group then renamed again in 1997 as the 910th Airlift wing, still in ties with the AMC.
The Youngstown ARB has 59 operational building which are mainly for aviating maintenance and training leaving some dormitories for temporary but no permanent housing on the installation.
Youngstown Community School
Horizon Science Academy
St. Joseph Provider School
Matthews High School
Youngstown Air Reserve Exchange