Biggs Army Airfield is a United States Military airport on Fort Bliss base in El Paso, Texas built in 1916. The air field base was originally called Biggs Air Force Base from 1947 to 1966 consisting of 400 acres. Their mission was to scout and observe a courier accommodation for Infantry and Cavalry ground units.
An attack by Pancho Villa caused the United States Army Air Service to send Dayton-Wright DH-4 aircraft to Fort Bliss to begin the patrol on the US-Mexican Border in June of 1919 beginning the United States Army Border Air Patrol. Throughout the mid 1990’s, many different Air crafts and divisions were activated and leaving Biggs for different reasons. Biggs, as an air force base, closed down in December of 1965 due to operational environment issues. Biggs was reactivated in 1973 as a permanent airfield for the Army which turned into the world’s largest Army Airfield at that time. Biggs is known for assisting a lot of equipment and personnel for the troops of Desert Storm and Shield in 1990 and 1991. Today, Biggs is residence to many aircrafts, especially C-5A Galaxies, in support of transporting equipment to Southwest Asia and other places.
Their mission includes giving 24-hour support and service for the aviation assets of the four military services, the Department of Justice, and other flight operations.