As a military spouse, I have spent many nights alone in my house while my husband is away. I feel brave when I am alone, however those random little noises can keep me up at night and make me feel scared. Over the years, I have learned some ways to make myself feel safe while my spouse is away.
Top 10 Ways to Feel Safe While your Spouse is Away
(from obvious to clever)
10. Secure the home. Make sure you lock all doors & windows. Turn on exterior lights. Install a motion light outside. Keep a few lights on inside the house.
9. Have a plan of attack or escape. For example, grab your cell phone, run to the kids room, lock the door and call for help!
8. Sleep with the tv on so you aren’t spooked by all the random noises.
7. Get a dog, preferable a large breed dog, but small dogs can bark and alert you of an intruder, too.
6. Install a house alarm and use it! Set it so the full alarm goes off when the doors open.
5. Have a weapon in your bedroom to protect yourself.
4. Charged your cell phone every night and have it in your bedroom.
3. Get to know your neighbors so you can run to them for help.
2. Sleep with car keys close, if you think someone is breaking into your house, push the alarm button and set off your car alarm to attract attention to your home.
1. Get a can of wasp spray, it shoots further than mace or pepper spray, and keep it next to your bed. If an intruder is walking up your stairs, you can spray them from a far distance.
Tell us what you think!
About the Author – Cameron is a Navy wife, mother of 2, and creator of MilitaryTownAdvisor.com